FRIDAY, March 8 (HealthDay News) — The loss of an hour of sleep that comes with the switch to daylight saving time overnight Saturday can be uncomfortable if you don’t take some simple steps to prepare, experts say. To help you adapt, Dr. Praveen…
SALT LAKE CITY — Recent surveys show that most American workers are less than satisfied with their jobs. So what can bosses do boost employee morale? A lot of the issues that bring employee morale down are the result of business decisions from when the economy hit a downturn a few years ago …
The idea of shedding excess pounds may seem completely daunting. However, it may be easier than you ever thought possible. The following piece contains several simple methods that can get you going in the proper direction.
1. Make sure to consume sufficient water every day. By replacing other beverages with water, it is easier than you might expect to consume more than enough water to facilitate weight loss. It is often suggested that individuals drink at least eight glasses of water per day, and doing so is a great way to flush toxins out of the body. Consuming mostly water will also help you avoid the excess empty calories that many people ingest by drinking sodas and juices all day long.
2. Maintain a food diary to carefully record your daily intake. Taking the time to write down each and every item eaten throughout the day is a great way to stay accountable for your dietary decisions. It can also help you identify the times of the day when you are most tempted to indulge in high calorie foods. Knowing when and where you tend to stray from your diet plan can help you steer clear of pitfalls and achieve real success.
3. Make a pedometer your constant companion. By keeping a pedometer on your person at all times, you can effortlessly track the number of steps you take throughout the course of the day, and make sure you get sufficient exercise to burn extra calories. If you are unaware of how much movement you have accomplished each day, you will have a harder time measuring how much exercise in which you still need to engage in order to meet your goals.
4. Consider breaking your food intake into several smaller meals instead of the traditional three larger ones. Eating in this way allows you to space out your calories in such a way that you will never feel hungry or deprived, and your body will burn the calories you eat far more efficiently. Waiting until the end of the day to indulge in a large dinner can cause you to overeat when you otherwise would not.
5. Endeavor to get no less than 45 minutes of walking in each day. Many believe that in order to burn calories and foster weight loss, intense exercises such as running are required. In fact, walking can effectively jump start any weight loss plan, and is a great way to ease into a more active lifestyle.
6. Try to find a diet and exercise partner who has similar goals to yours. By engaging with someone who is embarking on the same journey you are, it is possible to give and receive support, encouragement and tips learned along the way. In addition, you will have a built-in buddy with whom to share the excitement of your ultimate weight loss success.
Just a few easy tweaks to your daily routines can facilitate truly impressive weight loss results. As always, discipline and consistency are the keys to long-term success.
After your baby is born, you will naturally want to spend a lot of time with this newest and most adorable member of your family. In the back of your mind, you’ll probably also be wishing for your pre-baby body! Happily, new mothers can have the best of both worlds. You can spend lots of time with your new baby and get back in shape. Here’s how:
1. Before your baby is born, discuss a post baby fitness plan with your doctor or obstetrician. Of course, you’re sure to know that you should have been doing some light exercise before and throughout your pregnancy. Usually, you can simply continue with the exercises you have been doing as soon as you feel able and add new forms of exercise gradually. Ask your doctor how long you should wait before resuming exercise. Follow your doctor’s advice on the safest and most effective exercises to add.
2. One form of exercise that many new mothers find very helpful is yoga. There are many excellent yoga workouts available on DVD that are designed for participation by both mother and baby. By using these types of ” baby and me” style yoga workouts, new mothers can gain strength and flexibility while spending quality time with the new baby!
3. Of course your post-pregnancy tummy will probably be an area of great concern. Don’t hurt yourself trying to do vigorous abdominal exercises. Gentle abdominal exercises such as slight leg lifts, gentle knee bends, or simply lifting your chin toward the ceiling while lying flat on your back (even in bed!) can do a great deal to strengthen and tone your abdomen. Any exercise that you do for your back will automatically strengthen and tone your tummy, so doing a light weight workout with dumbbells that focuses on back muscles will help to tone your abdomen. You can do this while watching television or bouncing your baby in a bouncy seat!
4. Of course, you will surely want to show off your new baby, and nothing can be better for that than a good stroller. It’s a good idea to invest in a running stroller so that as you become more and more fit, you can gradually take up jogging with baby and running with baby. Modern jogging and running strollers have all kinds of fancy conveniences such as a special receptacle for your water bottle, compatibility with whatever sort of music software you carry and exciting and interesting toys for baby. You and your baby can spend many happy hours enjoying a well designed and high quality running stroller.
5. As your baby grows older, you’ll have more and more opportunities to exercise together. You can be proud of yourself for having set an example that places your baby securely on the path to lifelong fitness . In addition to “baby and me” style yoga, there are many other types of exercise that mothers and babies can do together. You can add mother and baby workout DVDs to your collection and/or check your local community center listings for mother and baby exercise classes that will provide both of you the opportunity to stay fit together while socializing with other moms and babies.
By beginning a habit of exercise before and during pregnancy, it will be much easier for you to retain and regain your pre-baby figure. When you seek out forms of exercise that include your baby, you’ll be able to make the most of the time you have to spend with your baby and the time you have to spend on your body. Additionally, by exercising with your baby, you will teach your baby how to be fit, strong and active for life.
Losing weight takes time and dedication. You need to commit yourself and it is not an overnight process. Luckily, you can do it. You just need to follow the right tips to make it happen. Here are some great weight loss tips that will have you dropping the pounds as soon as possible.
1. Eat five to six small meals a day instead of three big meals. You have probably heard your entire life that you need to have three meals a day, but dieticians now recommend that you have five to six smaller meals. Why? More meals that are smaller in portion size will keep your blood sugar stable. The result of that is that your cravings will be under control, and you won’t be so hungry that you eat too much.
2. Eat your food slowly. When you do this, you help yourself to feel more full as you eat. When you eat quickly you can eat more food without feeling like your stomach is full, even though it may be. To eat slower, chew your food more times. This will help you remember that you are trying to lose weight and that you need to eat more slowly.
3. Keep track of what you are eating. This way, you can hold yourself accountable for everything that goes in your mouth. You can also make sure you are meeting your nutritional requirements, which is important when you are trying to lose weight, as cutting down on foods can often mean cutting out nutritional requirements.
4. Count those calories. By paying special attention to the calories you consume, you are able to stop yourself from eating more than you should. Chances are that you don’t even realize how many calories you are eating in a day. Even worse, you do not realize how many calories you are drinking in your soda, juice and energy drinks. Knowing your caloric intake will help you keep things under control.
5. Eat more vegetables and fruits. These foods pack a lot of nutrition, without being high in calories. They are the healthiest things for you to eat. Fruits also contain a lot of fiber, so that helps you stay full and makes you less likely to get cravings. Just be careful with fruit; fruit contains sugar, and you don’t want too much sugar.
6. Eat enough food. A lot of people who are trying to lose weight make the enormous mistake of dropping their calories drastically. Why is it a mistake? Your body feels that it is going into starvation mode and will hold on to the fat in your body in case it needs to burn it as fuel later. Help your body recognize that you are not starving, and keep your body adequately fed.
7. Get enough sleep. Your body repairs itself when you sleep, and it’s also when your body burns the most fat. There are studies that show that when you don’t get your sleep you are more likely to gain weight, so make sure to get your rest.
Losing weight takes commitment and dedication. Use the tips in this article and you will meet your weight loss goals in no time.
As the old adage goes, “you are what you eat”. If your regular diet consists of fat and cholesterol-rich foods, you may run the risk of developing dreadful diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and more. According to nutrition experts, healthy eating starts with learning the ability to “eat smart”. It’s not just what you eat, but how you eat. The food you choose to eat can help decrease your chances of developing illnesses like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and others. Learn how to plan your diet, and expand your range of healthy food choices too. Here are some helpful tips for planning a healthy diet.
Start Slow, And Gradually Change Your Eating Habits
The quest to achieving a healthy diet starts with a slow but calculated step. The way for planning and implementing a healthy diet begins with a number of small and manageable steps. Approach the diet changes gradually, and you’ll be able to achieve a healthy diet no sooner than you think.
However, instead of fussing over counting calories or measuring serving sizes, set your sights on finding the food you love, and go for easy recipes which incorporate fresh ingredients. Make small but significant steps, like adding salads or your daily diet, or use olive oil instead of butter. By making gradual changes, your diet will slowly become healthier and more savory too.
Ensure That You Regularly Serve Yourself Smaller Portions
These days, serving sizes have blown out of proportion, especially in restaurants. If you’re dining out, don’t immediately order an entrée, or go on a buffet binge. Instead, go slow, choose a starter, or split a dish with your buddy, and never super-size your orders. Your servings of poultry, meat and fish should only be equal to the size of a deck of cards, and the oil or salad dressing you use must only be as large as the size of a matchbook.
It’s How You eat, Not What You Eat
The key to healthy eating lies not in just what you eat, but in how you eat. Learning to develop healthy eating habits can easily be achieved, since eating is not just about gulping down large amounts of food, but in viewing food as a source of nourishment. Practice eating a wide array of fruits and vegetables everyday. Most nutritionists continually stress that the brighter and deeper colored the fruits and vegetables are, the higher their concentrations of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants will be. Go for green leafy veggies, sweet vegetables and a wide array of fruits.
In addition, make sure that you consume healthy amounts of healthy carbohydrates and fibers, particularly from whole grains. Apart from being tasty and satisfying, whole grains are also rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals, which strengthen the immune system, and protect against cardiovascular diseases. A number of studies have indicated that people who consume sizable portions of whole grains have healthier hearts.
By: Dina Brown